Friday, May 8, 2015

Final Draft Complete

I just put what I hope are the finishing touches on Skies of Madness. The journey to outline, write and edit this has taken longer than 3 months. The first time I wrote this story it took me almost 6 months just to write it and another 6 to get it edited. There were a lot of plot problems with the old one that I didn't like so when I rewrote it, I was determined to get it right. I think I have.

Now that I've finished it, I've got to move on to the sequel. There's also the short stories bumping around in my head. Better to have too many ideas than not enough.

I'm faced with the sudden frustration of realizing that I have a very common name. So many Daniel Smith's already on Amazon where I plan to publish that I have to either choose a pseudonym or stick with my own name. I'm going to settle for Daniel J. Smith. The only other author on amazon with that name has published 2 children's books. My fantasy books will be easily distinguished from his so there should be little to no confusion. I hope.

4 comments:

  1. So many stories. I don't even know what to do. I'm like you. I have bunch of ideas all of which I want to turn into stories. I've been very much into horrors lately. I have no idea why. I've not been writing lately. My mind is clouded and I'm having trouble focusing. Your posts give me hope.

    Pen names are wonderful things. Your name sounds so professional. Hahaha. The added "J" makes it that much more epic. I can imagine people talking amongst each other saying, " I love anything Daniel J. Smith." Yay for readers! That name would be great.

    There is story that I started with long ago. It makes me depressed even to think about it. I finished it and lost it. Every page. Over 300 microsoft pages. This happened over ten years ago. I love that story so much and no matter how much I try I can never seem to write it. I'm not going to give up.

    Keep Writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found the easiest way to write is to cut yourself off from the Internet. Then just start writing. You might end up with ten pages of crap writing and 1 page of great writing. That's still more than you had before. Push through the writer's block. The Internet is the ultimate enemy though. It's so distracting.


    I'm glad to hear you like my author name. It really touched me that you said my posts give you hope. Made my day honestly. 


    As for the lost story, I'll tell you a secret. Your creative mind will remake it for you,  maybe even better than it was before. Something similar happened to me and I rewrote it. Then I found it again after a couple months only to see that the majority of it was exactly the same. Some unique names of locations were even identical, and I thought I created new ones. A writer's brain is a funny thing, but definitely has its perks.


    Don't give up. You're a writer through and through. So write. I'll read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your posts are great! It's tough finding people who are passionate about writing but you are and it's really cool. I can relate to your posts because they are very familiar to me. Your blog is great because it isn't about just getting things out there. It's personal which makes it that much cooler.

    About the story I lost, I'm taking the first steps today. I have to write this story. It is driving me crazy. I think I'm going to brainstorm some ideas tonight. I already wrote the opener. Here's to wishing...and writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great! Let me know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete

Leave Your Thoughts Here.